Friday, November 6, 2009

Family

Well. My cousin is going into the Air Force; he leaves Sunday for MEP and Basic. He's 18. There was a potluck tonight at my uncle's place (his grandfather). I've been wanting to spend more time with my family, so we went. It was a lot of fun; I always enjoy spending time with my cousins. I just haven't done it much in years.

Family is so important. Unfortunately, my dad's generation had some problems among the siblings, so we didn't all spend as much time together as we should have. I haven't spoken to my other aunt's kids in a really long time. Of course, it doesn't help that I am way younger than any of them.

Anyway, it was nice to hang out with my cousins. I'd really like to go see my brother and sister (in law) and my nephews. But they live in MoVal and I live in Coalville. I barely have the energy to take care of my daughter after work and on Saturday. How do I manage to find the time and energy to visit family? What about friends, especially those I consider family? At some point in the past, I suggested to someone that maybe I should schedule visits. They said that didn't seem like a very... I don't remember exactly... loving, I suppose, thing to do. Like it would make them feel like a business obligation or something.

Here's the problem: If we don't schedule it, it's not going to happen. My daughter is only ten months old, and life is so busy we ain't got time for nuttin'. Between my work schedule, my wife's work schedule, church, and that pesky sleep thing, the only thing we seem to have time for is vegetating on the couch with the help of our laptops and cable TV.

So, my family and friends, know that I want to connect with you and spend time with you. Please don't be offended if I ask to schedule some time with you (I'm seriously considering trying it). Perhaps this will inspire some more of you to have conversations with your family...

No comments:

Post a Comment